dimanche 14 décembre 2014

Un lecteur américain du blog nous écrit

Dominion
To my colleagues at Réalités Nouvelles,
Kevin Finklea, artist


Pouvez-vous décrire brièvement votre travail ?
Can you briefly describe what you do ?

Primarily, I make painted wooden structures.  I also make paintings on MDF, canvas and acrylic panel (Perspex) as well.

Qu'est-ce qui vous motive pour créer ? 
What drives you to make work ?

I have always made things since I was very young.  It has become a way of marking time for me.  The work is the residue of my activity.

Dominion
Pouvez-vous nous parler de votre pratique au jour le jour ? 
Can you tell us something of your day-to-day practices ?

I have almost no financial support for my work as an artist.  I am forced to work for living.  I steal time when ever I can to get in the studio.  I work in the morning before work and after my job as well.  Any day off from my job is almost always used to make my work or for exhibitions.   

Depuis quand travaillez-vous de cette manière? 
How long have you been working in that way ?

For over three decades.

Quels sont les artistes qui vous ont le plus influencés ?
Which artists have had the greatest affect on your work ?

Imi Knoebel
Kazimir Malevich
Piet Mondrian
Blinky Palermo
Bridget Riley
Joel Shapiro
Anne Truitt


FDD 22
Qu'est ce qui en dehors des arts visuels fait évoluer votre travail ? 
What outside of visual art informs your practice ?

Vernacular color (i.e., color found on exterior walls, in graffiti and covering it up, incidental color)
Signaling devices (i.e., signage used on railways)

Comment souhaitez-vous que le public recoive votre travail ? 
How would you like people to engage with your work ?

To walk around it, see it in different light settings and to touch it if they feel the need to do so.
Pelikan

Qu'est ce qui vous passionne actuellement ?
Have you seen anything recently that has made an impression ?

Martin Puryear's exhibition at Matthew Marks in Manhattan (November-December, 2014)

Dans quel sens selon vous doit évoluer l'art abstrait ?
In your opinion, how should be the future abstract art evolution ?

Abstract art has to continue to respond to and change as the world presents it's self.  That is to say, we have to give up the former sources of abstraction to respond to the here and now.